Getting comfortable in a relationship is a great thing. However, due to the nights cuddling on the couch, lavish restaurant dates and, after a while, babies and family life, many people find themselves packing on the pounds. Rather than gaining more weight, why not lose weight together?
It's no secret that losing weight can be tough. It involves time, commitment and motivation, which can be hard to achieve on your own. However, a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that couples who make healthy choices and shed pounds together have a higher rate of success. According to the study, 36 percent of women and 26 percent of men successfully lost weight when on a mission with their partner, while only 15 percent of women and 10 percent of men successfully slimmed down on their own.
"When losing weight with your partner, you have a built-in support system."
Team up with your partner
The study didn't indicate what makes people losing weight as a couple more successful than people doing it on their own. Some couples may see it as a friendly competition, and others may gain motivation from the support their partners give them. If you're thinking of bringing up the idea of losing weight together, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do you know your partner also wants to lose weight? You don't want to seem like you're making an offhand remark about his or her body by suggesting that he or she slim down with you.
- Do you have your own goals? While it's certainly helpful to lose weight with someone else, you should have your own goals and plans in case your partner decides he or she isn't interested in a weight-loss plan anymore.
In addition to creating a more successful weight-loss plan, working with your partner to get healthier has plenty of advantages. You have a built-in support system, so if someone doesn't feel like working out, the other can convince him or her to come along to the gym. Starting a weight-loss journey is a great way to bond and build healthy habits together, making your relationship even stronger than it was before. Since both of you are committing to a healthy lifestyle, you can go grocery shopping together and experiment with new, healthy foods. When you're working out, cooking and eating together, your relationship will be full of motivation and positivity. Not to mention, sparks will fly if you're both feeling confident in your appearances.
Ways to lose weight as a couple
There are plenty of fun and exciting ways to get moving and healthy with your significant other. Next time you two feel like binge watching a new TV show, try some of these activities instead:
- Learn to cook healthy meals together. Why spend money on takeout when you can spend time cooking with each other?
- Take a dance class and blow everyone away on the dance floor at the next wedding you attend.
- Spend a weekend day biking around all of your favorite areas of town. Visit all of the places that played a role in your relationship, like where you met and the restaurant where you had your first date.
- Start a tradition of going for a walk every night after dinner. Not only is a twilight stroll romantic, but it'll help you burn off some of your dinner.
This health and nutrition information has been brought to you by Provida Life Sciences. To begin your weight loss journey, check out The Food Lovers Fat Loss System.